- Business formation – avoiding common mistakes and pitfalls
- Negotiating leases
- Human Resources Issues with employees and policies
- Trademark, licensing agreements and your royalty checks
- Navigating ATF, regulations, FFL Applications, Business start-up
- What to do when ATF comes knocking as a gun dealer or individual
- Gun trusts* & NFA items – silencers/suppressors and automatic weapons
- Restoration of gun rights and expungement
- Self-defense shootings. When the District Attorney prosecutes you as the criminal when you were only protecting yourself or your family.
- Firearms related criminal charges or civil suits
- Estate planning issues around gun ownership
- Legislative monitoring of firearms and firearms related issues
- Firearms sales and professional appraisals
- Firearms seizures under the red flag laws of SB719 in Oregon.
- Restraining orders “FAPA” and how they impact your firearms rights and when you should fight them.
*Gun Trusts – flat fee of $600.00
Firearms Appraisals and Sales –
As part of the firm’s estate planning practice, we have clients purchase firearms for long term investment purposes. Placing an accurate value on a firearm is extremely important for insurance and resale purposes. Van Ness, Williamson LLP is a partner with Bear Arms, a company started by Leonard Williamson nineteen years ago. As a licensed federal firearms license (FFL) dealer, Leonard has been evaluating and grading firearms for both individuals and estates since 2003. He has also recently obtained certification as a firearms appraiser from the American Gunsmithing Institution (AGI). Leonard uses both the NRA Modern Gun Condition Rating Standards, the NRA Antique Gun Condition Rating Standards, and the Photo Percentage Grading System (PPGS) standards. In some instances, firearms are required to be valued by a certified appraiser. Bear Arms utilizes various online auction services to buy and sell guns for clients over the last 14 years. We can help you select the right firearms to invest in that will return a profit over time. Bear Arms can assist you when it’s time to get a return on your investment by selling them online and reaching the broadest market. The services provided by Bear Arms include specialty orders for firearms, shipping and receiving, purchasing firearms from estates, auction services and general firearms sales upon request. Bear Arms is compliant with all Federal and State laws.
Firearms Storage –
With the passage of Oregon’s Red Flag law, SB 719, many of our clients are concerned about the seizure of their firearms by law enforcement. Under SB 719 a person has 24 hours to turn over their guns before they are seized. The law requires that the guns be turned over to a law enforcement agency, a gun dealer or a qualified third party. We offer our client secure and safe storage of their firearms in the event they are subject to an SB 719 order. We are both a qualified third party and a gun dealer (in partnership with Bear Arms) and therefore can take possession of the firearms for you and return them when the
proceedings are finished. Many of our clients have expressed concern about law enforcement storing their collections under this law and damaging their collection while stored in the evidence locker of the police.
Professional Relationships –
Leonard Williamson is affiliated with two organizations providing defense coverage for persons wishing to protect themselves and their assets if they are forced to act in self-defense. Check our both groups – USCCA (www.usconcealedcarry.com) and the Armed Citizens’ Legal Defense Network (www.armedcitizensnetwork.org) Leonard is also corporate counsel for Thunder Ranch Inc (www.thunderranchinc.com) in Lakeview Oregon. Clint and Heidi Smith owners of Thunder Ranch rely upon Leonard for legal advice regarding their business and in their personal affairs. Leonard has occasionally authored materials at Clint’s request for TR’s monthly publication “Behind the Wire.”